Friday, February 5, 2010

Java Ordered: Not Applicable

After practically ice-skating my way across Lake Street to get to the corner coffee and bakery shop for yet another anticipated "coffee date", a woman in three-and-a-half-inch heels confidently catwalks in front of me. Why am I such a Minnesota wimp, and why does this lady look like Alessandra Ambrosio in such treacherous weather? I push the door open and find a table to claim.

Not two minutes pass and I am warmly greeted by Bree. What gets to me every time I see Bree is that she always is smiling and put together even though she battles with kids all day long in a special needs classroom. Her shirt she is wearing is incredibly cute and I soon find out it is yet another brilliant buy from Target. I heart Target. Doesn't every woman?

We decide to break the "never travel alone to a restroom without a girlfriend with you" rule, and I get in line to order a bagel with cream cheese and water on the rocks (No coffee for me on this "coffee date". I had my share this morning.) The worker behind the bagel bar was a classified clock-on-the-wall in that she lacked any type of customer service whatsoever. How dare she roll her eyes when I ask for more time to decide on the perfect bagel? Rude! I warn Bree when she comes out of the restroom to look out for Ms. Pleasant and her endearing attitude.

As soon as we both have our bagels and Bree pops out a Frappacino from her purse, I overhear our rude bagel lady confess to her girlfriends, who are sitting in a booth right beside ours, that she is overly tired and ill. Grace was extended toward her after hearing this, and I pinched myself on my side for letting her affect me the way she did. A lesson learned: you never know how someone's day is going so do not be quick to judge. Ever! (but know that you do have the right to never ever visit that coffee and bakery shop again.)

Back to Bree and our conversation. After describing the challenges she is faced with each day at work, I deem her Wonder Woman and tell her that her job is one of the most important jobs in the world--and it is. Taking care of those who cannot take care of themselves and believing in their abilities when others do not is such a purpose-driven life. Why am I so blessed to have friends with big, fat hearts? I don't know, but I cannot complain.

When we finish going over the basics in our lives since our last coffee date, we discuss the inevitable: Valentine's Day. While some argue Valentine's Day is simply a business-driven day for Hallmark to make some extra cash, I argue it is a day for planned romance, flowers and much deserved chocolate. You laugh? Think about it. Every woman desires for her significant other to do something, anything, to display their affection and to feel like the luckiest woman on earth. A homemade Valentine, a box of Godiva chocolate-covered strawberries, or five dozen red roses (or one) will make any woman feel like a queen. And yes, women can receive flowers and chocolates each and every Valentine's Day and it never gets old. Never!

Okay, enough of my discussion of Valentine's Day (but ladies, do remember to do something special for him to let him know how much you dig him--like for my plans to have Enya playing in our apartment and rose petals everywhere when he comes home from work and a chick flick at hand. Just kidding!)

Until the next coffee date, cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you have friends with fat hearts because you, my dear, have an obese heart! :)

    Another intriguing coffee date with you, Megs... LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish that i was that girl sitting in the coffee shop with you telling you about my special needs students. miss you lots.

    ReplyDelete