Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Java ordered: 12 Ounce Full City without Room

What is it about a "coffee date" that makes a woman's heart sing to the beat of an African drum beat or reach the highest note Celine can muster? Is it the actual latte purchased or is it the friendly barista who personally knows my name, and that I prefer soy verses skim with the perfect amount of froth? Or, is it the fact that the coffee shop itself is a cozy little store with a cozy little couch and a cozy little fireplace? Well, while all of these components foster the euphoria experienced at a "coffee date", I believe it is the conversations that take place that are the foundation to the whole cup of joe experience.

Abby ordered a 12 ounce french roast coffee with some room. I love seeing Abby. You know? There are those certain people in a person's life that just make you so comfortable and so excited. Abby is one of those women. She is like a Caramel Machiatto with just a dollop of froth and caramel perfected drizzled on top, or, in other words, a woman who is stunningly beautiful on the outside but even more bedazzled on the inside. (I am sure you at this point have decided this metaphor is either ridiculously corny or somewhat clever. Anywho, Abby is much more than the small coffee with room that she ordered!) And you know what I found out while sipping my cup of joe? Abby has a dilemma. But it is not an uncommon dilemma--it is a dilemma many women around the world are experiencing. Dating a guy without the giddy feelings.

Let's dream for a bit ladies. Remember your first real crush you had on a guy? He was suave and funny and scruffy like Robert Pattinson. You didn't have to force giddiness upon your heart, you naturally sailed across a cloud called "nine". I understood Abby's frustrations in the dating game, because many times you will be asked to dinner by men you are not initially attracted to. I even commend Abby on taking a chance and going on the date in hopes that she will discover a Mr. McDreamy beneath. Now, I am not being shallow. I mean he must possess the whole kit and caboodle--humor, similar values, attractive, considerate, and leaves you daydreaming about him each and every free (and taken) second of the day. What does a woman do in these bound-to-happen situations?

Take a chance and see if your heart will catch up to your hopes and then, if after a certain time you are still left unsure, kindly end it and keep optimistic about finding that someone who will drive you crazy...crazy in love (uh oh uh oh uh oh oh no no!! in the words of Beyonce).

After discussing the dating dilemma, we discussed our dislike for politics, our huge thrill we get when finding great deals at thrift shops and discount designer stores, and our hopes to visit a peanut butter store in the near future (Our friend told us all about it. Seriously people! A peanut butter store selling nothing but peanut butter.)

Until the next coffee date, cheers!

2 comments:

  1. To my most favorite coffee date best friend,
    What a beautiful blog, which I will read as often as you post... and to me it will feel like I am actually sitting down to have my own coffee date with you!

    We can all relate to this blog... I know you can think of a few young men in my life that I tried so desperately to make work. But in the end, it left my heart feeling trapped and sad.I know we've both discussed arranged marriages before... but I am truly grateful that God allows us the opportunity to fall into the magic of giddy love.

    As someone who always tried to make all the wrong guys fit into my check list, I am so grateful that God finally let me experience that giddy love. It's far worth the wait... And we always knew that it would be!!! :) Love you, best friend!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My darling Meg,

    This blog brought me right back to the day we met... you guessed it, ENG 190 Writing As Critical Thinking. You were that beautiful woman across the room - I swore you were a model - and I was too intimated to talk to you until that day in the Student Union. Remember our mutual gratitude that someone else could seamlessly and musically weave words into a melodic, and meaningful, idea. And that is exactly what you have done in this delightful entry.

    I've also toyed with the idea of starting my own blog. Your initiative may give me the extra push I need to start my own. Like Amy, I will definitely be reading this often.

    Send your friend Abby my well wishes. From someone who is single and currently walking the dating tightrope of allowing myself to meet new people without trying to force something unreal to happen, I recommend having a little faith. I've seen enough of my family and friends(i.e. you, Amy, etc) find their way into healthy relationships without compromising who they are that I know it will work out if we let it.

    All my love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete